Androo

2018 Glamis Scottish Transport Extravaganza

1953 Packard Clipper

Two-door sedan. Packard had intended to introduce the mid-priced Clipper as a standalone marque so it wouldn't dilute the prestige Packard brand but dealers objected so it was branded as a Packard. Packard got its way in 1956 but by then Studebaker-Packard was in big trouble so it was too late. Lovely restrained styling (chrome grille apart) is typical of Packards of this period.

Use search and keywords to find more stuff. Keywords appear under photos when you click on them and hover over the caption underneath. 

Newly added

  • 1960 Standard Vanguard Estate

    2088cc The Phase III Vanguard, released to the market for the mid-October 1955 Earls Court Motor Show, was a radical change from th ePhase II with the elimination of the separate chassis. It was made until 1963 when the Triumph 2000, using the two-litre engine from the Vanguard Six, replaced it.

  • 1953 Rover 75

    This is quite an interesting one because it has the 'droopy' rear end with horizontal lights from the original 'cyclops' Rover, but the updated front end, albeit with flattened wings. DVLA says the engine is a 2230cc (six cylinder), but Wikipedia reckons this engine was introduced in 1954 (2103cc originally) so either that's wrong or this car has been re-engined.

  • 1935 Armstrong Siddeley 17 Sports Foursome

    Brightwells says: 'The 17hp Sports Foursome short chassis was launched in 1934 and produced until 1938. It had a six-cylinder in-line monobloc engine displacing 2,396cc with a four bearing crankshaft, balanced alloy pistons, overhead valves and downdraught Claudel-Hobson carburettor. Transmission was via a four-speed preselector gearbox with a Salisbury rear axle and semi-elliptic springs all round, underslung at rear. Steering was by worm and nut, with Enot’s ‘one shot’ central lubrication system and a permanently installed jacking system. The attractive bodywork was by Burlington of Coventry and featured a four seat, two door pillarless coupe with ingenious front side windows that both slid back and forth and wound up and down.' DVLA lists the engine as 2192cc for this one though...

  • 1962 AC Cobra

    For once, it's the real thing and not a replica! This is a Mk 1 '289' (4736cc V8) – they were made in 1962 and 1963.

  • 1957 AC Ace

    This has a two-litre six-cylinder engine. Three engines were available including one by Bristol, which I think this one has (it's listed as having a 1971cc engine), making it the most desirable.

  • 1967 Renault 8 Gordini

    The rear-engined Renault 8 was launched in 1962, and the 10, a more upmarket version of the 8, was launched in 1965. The Renault 8 ceased production and sales in France in 1973. By then the Renault 10 had already been replaced, two years earlier, by the front wheel drive Renault 12. They were produced in Bulgaria until 1970, and an adapted version of the Renault 8 continued to be produced in Spain until 1976. In Romania, a version of the 8 was produced under license between 1968 and 1971 as the Dacia 1100 (their first car). In 1967, the R8 Gordini (model R1135 pictured here) received a facelift including two additional headlights, and its engine upgraded to a 1255cc unit, which this car has.

  • 1975 Reliant Robin

    848cc I've been wanting to photograph this generation of Reliant for a while. This is what people think of when they joke about the Reliant Robin, or 'Robin Reliant' as the uninformed call it for some reason.

  • Photo by Androo at https://androo.smugmug.com

  • 1965 Jaguar Mark X 4.2

    You can see from the open door in this photo that the bulbous sides of the Mark X did nothing for interior elbow room.

  • 1967 Hillman Husky

    Estate version of the Imp, also available as a Commer-branded Imp van. The framed photo on the 'bonnet' shows how nice it would look with the correct wheels.

  • 1955 Fiat 500 Topolino C

    Although not quite as cute as the original 1936 Topolino, the restyled Model C is still a crowd pleaser. It was introduced in 1949 with a restyled body and the same 569cc 16 hp engine as the Model B, and was offered in 2-door saloon, 2-door convertible saloon, 3-door estate and 2-door van versions. It was made until 1955 when the new rear-engined Fiat 600 took over and provided four proper seats at last. The spiritual successor was perhaps the smaller rear-engined 500, which was introduced in 1957.

  • 1968 Daimler Sovereign 420

    Daimler's version of the Jaguar 420

  • 1952 Citroën 'Big Six'

    Six cylinder version of the 'traction' has a 2866cc engine. It was known as the 15CV in France, but this looks like a Slough built model and confusingly in the UK it was the 11CV that was known as the 'Fifteen' because of the British horsepower rating (for tax) at the time. Despite the big engine the Big Six could only manage 81 mph. From 1954 this car had self-levelling hydropneumatic rear suspension, but this car's too early for that so has the standard torsion bars and rear beam axle.

  • 1971 Bristol 411

    Made from 1969 to 1976 – the fifth series of Chrysler-V8 engined Bristol models and rated highly for its comfort, performance and handling. Still a very elegant and discreet luxury car. For the first time since the 407 was introduced, Bristol changed the engine for a much larger big-block B series engine of 6,277 cc.

  • 1964 Triumph 2000

    Nice to at last see a Mark 1 Triumph 2000. Introduced in 1963, it used the six-cylinder engine first seen in the Standard Vanguard at the end of 1960 and was a strong competitor in what would now be called the 'compact executive' sector that it arguably created along with the contemporary Rover 2000.

  • 1911 Stanley Steamer

    Seen here in motion. This is a 10 hp two-cylinder Model 63 with four-seat open tourer body.

  • 1970 Jaguar XJ6 2.8

    A rather rare series 1 XJ6, with the smallest engine (and surely the drabbest paint colour). The XJ was launched in 1968 and pretty much replaced four of Jaguar's other models at a stroke. It was initially available with 2.8 litre and 4.2 litre versions of the famous six-cylinder XK engine, but from 1972 buyers could choose a 5.3 litre V12 that made it a very fast car indeed. Note this is the swb version of the XJ (the 2.8 was only available as a swb car). The lwb car had four inches more legroom and when the car moved to Series II in 1973/4 only the lwb body was available across the range.

  • 1955 Jaguar Mark VII 3.4

    This extremely original Jaguar won the overall 'Best in Show' award

  • 1957 Jaguar 3.4 Litre (Mark 1)

    The rare Jags were out in force at this event. Introduced in 1955 and made until 1959, the restrospectively named Mark 1 was also available as a 2.4 litre. It was was the company's first small saloon since the end of its 1½ and 2½ Litre cars in 1949, and was an immediate success, easily outselling the larger much more expensive Jaguar saloons. It's fairly easily differentiated from the later Mark 2 by the simpler C-pillar and rear door styling. Some early cars have full rear-wheel covers.

  • Photo by Androo at https://androo.smugmug.com

  • 1965 Fiat 500

    499cc 500 F

  • 1960 Vauxhall Victor

    1508cc A post-facelift F-Series Victor

  • Photo by Androo at https://androo.smugmug.com

  • Photo by Androo at https://androo.smugmug.com

  • Class 390 Pendolino at Preston

    I was diverted to Preston on a trip from Glasgow to Keighley because my booked connection from Lancaster to Keighley was cancelled. Passed the time taking a few photos.

  • Class 319 at Preston

    Looks to be newly painted in Northern's 2017-on livery

  • 1983 Citroën 2CV6 Spécial

    A very nice 35 year-old 2CV in Bradford

  • Class 318 Electric Multiple Unit at High Street

    High Street Railway Station serves High Street in Glasgow, Scotland and the surrounding area. The station is managed by Abellio ScotRail and is served by trains on the North Clyde Line. It serves the eastern side of Glasgow city centre, with Strathclyde University, Glasgow Cathedral and Glasgow Royal Infirmary being major institutions located nearby,

  • Class 142 at Preston

    Not long until these units are removed and passengers become happier

  • Glasgow

    Office building near the river

  • Glasgow

    Striking building in central Glasgow in the evening light

  • Willow Tea Rooms, Glasgow

    Newly and rather beautifully restored, Mackintosh's tea rooms reopened around the same time that his School of Art burned down...

  • Waverley at Helensburgh

    PS Waverley is the last seagoing passenger-carrying paddle steamer in the world. Built in 1946, she sailed from Craigendoran on the Firth of Clyde to Arrochar on Loch Long until 1973. Bought by the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society (PSPS), she has been restored to her 1947 appearance and now operates passenger excursions around the British coast.

Powered by SmugMug Log In