Hillworth Village – former Keighley Workhouse
The ultimate in gentrification – Keighley's former workhouse, erected in 1858 at the north side of Oakworth Road. Its construction cost £7,100. An administrative block stood to the west of the site entrance on Oakworth Road. It contained the board-room, committee rooms, Master’s office and receiving wards. A new porter’s lodge and male vagrants’ cell-block were erected at the east of the entrance in 1887. The 17 work cells each contained an iron bed and a handle attached to a corn-grinding device which required 8,800 turns to grind 4 bushels (32 gallons) of corn. There were also two association wards, one for 23 men and one for 13. Female casuals were housed on an upper floor of the block. The dining hall stood to the rear. From 1930, the site became Keighley Public Assistance Institution. It was later renamed Hillworth Lodge old people’s home and was afterwards used by Keighley College.